A little over a year ago told, I myself that I was going to dive into this blogging pool.
I didn’t know what I was doing, but I wanted to see if I could put some posts out into the world on a regular basis. I had tried before and fell out of the pool after a few months, so I wanted to see if I could keep it going and put out some posts I would be proud of.
One year later, I still don’t know what I’m doing, but I’m pretty happy to still be going strong. I did learn a few things, though, and wanted to share them here. So here are the Top 5 Things I’ve Learned After Having This Blog For a Year.
5. Proofreading is the least fun part of this, but it is an area I need to focus more on (see moron). I am constantly rewriting and editing posts, and after reading and rereading so many times, it’s hard to catch all of the typos. I know it’s hard to believe I might ever make a mistake or need anything edited, but I need to be much better about this.
4. Writing shorter posts would be good. I like to hear myself talk, but some posts have been a little too long. I want to be a little more concise in the next year, except, of course, for when I have really important things to say about topics like grocery stores, the word “mandate” and the Top Five Fingers.
3. I need to figure out a way to use more photos and graphics. That is a goal for going forward, and I especially want to work on it this summer.
2. I shouldn’t compare my blog to other blogs so often. I have learned that there are a ton of great blogs and super writers out there, and many of them have hundreds or thousands of followers. I can’t worry about being as good as them or trying to get as many followers. All I need to worry about is doing the best I can with writing, while also focusing on finally determining the Top Five Doughnuts. I need to do this more in my everyday life, too. So in the next year, I plan on focusing on just being the best person I can be and eating the best doughnuts that are available.
1. This is fun. I am writing about whatever I want to, and somehow there are people out there (sometimes in other countries!) who are reading what I write. It’s crazy and it’s awesome. I don’t need a ton of followers or likes because I usually like what I write. I have a fun time putting together posts, and it’s pretty cool when anyone else looks at the blog. I’m planning to do better with this in the second year, but overall it’s been a great, great year (except for the typos) and I’m very happy that I dove in. Thanks for reading!