Writing headlines can be tricky.
Sometimes I feel like I have the perfect headline to draw readers in, and other times I struggle to find any suitable title so that I can post my article.
Some headlines impeccably encapsulate my eloquent and engaging posts, while others are just a few words thrown together to beg readers to peruse my prose.
This is something that I hope to improve upon with blogging, so I am adding it to my long list of needed improvements.
Recently, I wrote a headline for an article on things that annoy me about winter, and my editor friend Terry astutely pointed out a potential problem.
“Top Five Winter Annoyances (not counting the cold),” was the best I could come up with that day and it did make some sense to me. Terry mentioned, though, that while the headline was fine, it was like I was saying:
Top Five Problems With Bee Stings (not counting the pain)
This led to spending way too much time thinking up similar headlines that seemed funny and interesting, so I am sharing them here. Please feel free to add any below that you can think of:
- Top Five Reasons To Go To Sleep (not counting being tired)
- Top Five Reasons for Avoiding Hell (aside from burning for all of eternity) – That one is Terry’s and is my favorite.
- Top Five Elements To Breathe (not counting oxygen)
- Top Five Reasons To Get Into Your Car (aside from needing to go somewhere) – To look for your cell phone, clean the car, listen to the radio, get warm and I don’t know why else.
- Top Five Reasons To Mow The Lawn (aside from the grass being too high)
- Top Five Reasons To Go To Wear Glasses (not counting the vision correction) – This one might be fun to write.
- Top Five Places to Sit (not counting chairs)
- Top Five Reasons To Save The World (not counting saving the lives of everyone on the planet and preserving the earth)
- No. 5: We just got a new roof on the house, I would hate to have that go to waste.
- No. 4: That would really stick it to my kindergarten teacher who thought I was a bad kid.
- No. 3: All of my stuff is on earth.
- No. 2: After saving the world, I would be allowed to cut in lines at amusement parks.
- No. 1: It would make for a great blog post that would get a huge number of views and likes.
- Top Five Reasons Not To Drink Poison (aside from the fact that it’s deadly)
- Top Five Reasons For Me To Stop Writing These (aside from that it is getting old)